Bücker Bü 131B Jungmann (1:32, ICM) [english version]


This model came to me accidentally, as a prize at one of modelling contests. It represents an aviation period out of my interests, also building a model of an aircraft with swastikas is out of question for me. But before I decided to get rid of it I made a small research and found out that an aircraft of this type in Polish civilian markings is in the exposition of Cracow Aviation Museum. Then I came across an article in Lotnictwo z Szachownicą 23 from which I learned that this very aircraft served after WW2 in Poznan Aeroclub, in different markings with spectacular cat emblem and name Hirek – thus the decision was made – to build it.

I bought the aftermarket PE sets from Eduard – seatbelts and the general fret.

The build started with cockpit. What is proposed by ICM allows to construct a decent interior, but there is always space for amendments. Besides the PE bits I added a couple of control linkages from soldering wire. Also, the rear bulkhead at the front pit required cutting the slots to attach the seatbelts.

The layout of openings, lacing and fittings at the rear fuselage was not correct. At least Polish service aircraft had them organized in a different way, so it was necessary to change them. I also scratch built the characteristic air outlet under the fuselage. The kit part was way too short.

The control surfaces were amended with PE bits and some scratch elements which were missing.

The kit engine is very finely moulded with lots of surface detail. Surprisingly ICM does not provide an option for an open engine. Yet, I decided to make use of Eduard parts and open one side of Hirth 504 engine, the one without the characteristic metal plate controlling the air cooling. Thus, adding the missing details was focused mainly on that side to be left opened. I added electric cables and control linkage for carburettor.

I have also made use of PE bits to construct the cockpit doors, all 4 of them to be left open.

Having mounted the lower wings and empennage I prepared the eyelets for rigging. Then I could start with airbrushing. The airframe colour is not certain, most probably grey, as can be assessed from two photos of this aircraft. Decals with marking, including the famous cat logo of unconfirmed colours, too, were prepared by Mr. Decal.

With the base colour on I added some shading of areas along the wing ribs and fuselage longerons. Then some wash to emphasize the surface detail was applied.

After this the final assembly started. The delicate undercarriage was added first. Desipte its appearance it sustains the model weight safely. The upper wing assembly was started with cabane Ns. Their joints to the fuselage are not very reliable but after setting its geometry using a cardboard rig, they supported the upper wing safely for a short time before I added the interplane struts. Having the wing cellule ready, I added the rigging using the dark fishing line 0.12mm painted with steel colour. The build was completed with attaching the cockpit doors.

In this way I was able to add another model to my collection – an airplane which is quite famous but in a rather unusual markings – as I like most. Thank you to ICM for making us modellers build lovely kits. This one is really worth recommendation even to those who are reluctant to biplane kits with rigging. The level of detail and the fit is very good.


Przemysław Litewka




Kluby modelarskie




Our website is protected by DMC Firewall!